The Pritchard Building
The historic Pritchard Building was constructed in 1906 and has hosted various tenants, including a skating rink and a bus depot. The building’s exterior consists of dressed and cut stone on the two street frontages and random fieldstone on the opposite sides. To preserve historic integrity and conform to St. Helena’s Seismic Retrofit Ordinance, Paul Kelley Architecture had the exterior stone walls regrouted between the inner and outer stone wythes, and the stone facades repointed to match the original mortar. Concurrently, the building was gutted and reconstructed from the historic walls inward. Kelley redid the framing system with posts and beams to allow for more open space and central access. Upgrades included framing a new roof, new utilities, roof skylights and an elevator. Kelley also took on tenant improvements and created office spaces for two local doctors. The project was awarded a Napa County Landmarks Award of Merit.