The Hatchery Building
On the National Register of Historic Places as the “Taylor, Duckworth and Company Foundry Building,” this St. Helena landmark was constructed in 1884 from native fieldstone and has sheltered many enterprises: the foundry, a glove factory, a chicken hatchery and the Robert Louis Stevenson Museum among them. Today, it is known as The Hatchery Building, and it houses acclaimed restaurant Terra on the ground floor, with office space above. A seismic retrofit triggered accessibility upgrades, and the project became a complete building renovation. Paul Kelley Architect set about the overhaul with a mandate to respect the historic design, materials and context. The building was retrofitted with structural steel bracing, while the exterior stone walls were regrouted and repointed. The restaurant was remodeled during construction, and the upper floor was reconfigured for new tenants. The project received a Napa County Landmarks Award of Merit for preservation.